If you don't have your taxes filed, you have until the end of the day today to get it done.
Tax day normally falls on April 15, but this year the Internal Revenue Service extended the deadline to Tuesday, April 17. So that gives you a little more time to fill out your forms. Here are some resources to help you out:
- Downloadable forms from the IRS
- Free File with the IRS
- What to do if you need an extension
- More resources from the IRS website
Now of course this is the time of year that we expect to hear from the Internal Revenue Service but it's also a time for crooks to take advantage of us. Here are some tips to safeguard your financial information:
- The IRS will never initiate contact with you in an e-mail - don't open any attachments or click on any links from someone claiming to be an agent. You can always call the IRS if you think there is a problem.
- The IRS never asks for your pin or password.
- If you go to the IRS website, make sure it's the right one - www.irs.gov. Beware of similar sites like www.irs.com or www.irs.org.
- Watch out for people offering to help prepare your taxes for a share of the refund or a high up-front cost.
- Tax Guide to Identity Theft