Construction hits 2-inch gas link; area evacuated

ROSEBURG, Ore. - Construction equipment damaged a 2-inch natural gas line, causing a leak that led firefighters to evacuate the area.

The leak happened at 2 p.m. at W. Brown Avenue and W. Union Street.

According to officials at the scene,  construction equipment damaged a 2-inch natural gas line.

Firefighters evacuated 4 homes in the area while Avista crews worked to cap the damaged line.

"Anytime you have a large amount of natural gas coming out of a 2-inch opening under pressure, that's a tremendous amount," said Battalion Chief Josh Voynick. "All it takes is  - it could be as little as a spark from static electricity or a cigarette or somebody driving by."

The line was capped at 2:44 p.m. and residents were allowed back in their homes.