Coos Bay apartment fire displaces resident

COOS BAY, Ore. -- The Coos Bay Fire Department says a working smoke alarm and an alert neighbor are being credited with stopping an apartment complex fire.

Just after 8:00 p.m. on Monday, the Coos Bay Fire Department was called to a fire at the Empire Lakes Apartments in the 1600 block of Newmark Avenue.

Officials say when firefighters arrived they found smoke coming from the upstairs of a two story apartment.

Firefighters were able to gain entry and extinguish the fire before it was able to spread to neighboring apartments.

The person that lived in the apartment wasn't home, but one of her neighbors heard the smoke alarm, saw the smoke and called 911.

Officials say the fire started in the bathroom, caused by an unattended hot object.

There were no injuries to residents or firefighters.

The American Red Cross was called to assist the displaced woman.

The damage to the apartment is estimated to be about $25,000.

The fiore department says this was a good example of how working smoke alarms save lives and reduce property damage. Without the alertness of the neighbor, the early detection and quick reporting, the fire department says it could have been much worse.