SUTHERLIN, Ore. -- Fire officials say a Sutherlin home was badly damaged by fire early Tuesday morning, and an overheated electric receptacle might be to blame.
The fire at 521 W. First Ave. was called in by neighbors just before 4:00 a.m., who smelled the smoke and told officials that they could see flames in the air.
Douglas County Fire District No.2 firefighters responded and found thick, black smoke and flames coming from several of the windows on the house.
District #2 officials say the firefighters aggressively attacked the large flames from the exterior of the house, and then worked their way inside to search the home and ensure that no one was inside. The home occupants were not home at the time of the fire.
Fire crews say the home, built in 1981, had extensive structural damage.
Initial damage to the buildings and their contents is estimated to be $173,000.
Fire District #2 was assisted by Oakland Rural Fire Protection District, Sutherlin Police officers, Pacific Power, Avista Utilities and the American Red Cross.