Firefighters suspect cigarette set Roseburg house on fire

Firefighters suspect cigarette set Roseburg house on fire
Firefighters found flames and smoke coming out the front window of the home Wednesday morning

ROSEBURG, Ore. - A man awoke to find a couch on fire in the rental house he shared with 2 other adults and a child.

Everyone inside the home escaped without injury.

Firefighters said they suspect a discarded cigarette ignited the blaze.

As fire crews arrived just before 9 a.m., they saw flames and smoke coming out the front window of the SE Main Street home.

Firefighters knocked the fire down within 2 minutes and prevented the fire from spreading to a neighbor’s house.

The neighbor later told fire investigators her home is 104 years old. “They saved my house,” she said of the firefighters.

The house that caught fire was 84 years old and valued at about $58,000. The fire did about $30,000 worth of damage.

The Roseburg Fire Department shared tips about cigarettes and fire prevention:


• Never smoke in bed. Replace mattresses made prior to the 1973 Federal Mattress Flammability Standard.

• Don't put ashtrays on the arms of sofas or chairs.

• Use large ashtrays with wide lips. While smaller ashtrays may be more attractive, they are not safe. Cigarettes can roll off the edge, and ashes can easily be blown away.

• Empty ashtrays into an airtight metal container. Warm ashes dumped in waste cans can smolder for hours, and then ignite.

• Don't leave cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended.

• If you begin to feel drowsy while watching television or reading, extinguish your cigarette or cigar.

• If friends or relatives who smoke have visited, be sure to check on the floor and around chair cushions for ashes that may have been dropped accidentally.