Girl saves family from fire: 'I didn't want anyone to die'

Girl saves family from fire: 'I didn't want anyone to die' »Play Video
Alexus Osburn, 7, stands next to the dryer that caught fire early Saturday morning. She woke her family when she got up to use the bathroom and saw her house was filled with smoke. (Photo by Bob Heye, KATU News)

OAK GROVE, Ore. – A 7-year-old girl helped her family escape a house fire early Saturday morning in Oak Grove.

Alexus Osburn woke her family when their home filled with smoke at around 2 a.m.

"I didn't want anyone to die," said Alexus.

The family escaped, along with their dog. Bill Osburn, Alexus' father, called 911. "She pretty much saved everybody," Bill said.

No one was hurt.

Alexus said she woke up to use the bathroom and saw her house was filled with smoke. She woke up her brother, her father and his girlfriend.

"When I got up, I just opened the door and could not see," she said. "Everything was all blowy because of the smoke."

Firefighters said the fire started in the dryer. There were no working smoke alarms in the home. Bill Osburn said he turned off the smoke detectors because he was heating the home with a wood stove.

"Stupid thing to do," Bill said. "Between ignorance and laziness not putting them back up, if she hadn't woke up I think things would have been a lot different."

Damage was estimated at $20,000.

"I'm never, ever going to touch fire," Alexus said.

KATU's Bob Heye contributed to this story.